LEEDS | The British Comic Awards held its 4th Annual Ceremony on 13 November as part of the Thought Bubble Festival 2015 .
All were welcome to attend alongside the nominees and judges of the year’s coveted shortlist.
There were four awards to the individual winners of the categories plus a place of honour in the BCA Hall Of Fame.
(There were no actual prizes, only that of merit and reputation.)
The British Comic Awards 2015 Short List
Winner: Grey Area: From the City to the Sea – Tim Bird (Avery Hill Publishing)
- Beast Wagon – Owen Michael Johnson, John Pearson and Colin Bell (Self published)
- Hand Me Down – Kristyna Baczynski (Self published)
- Lost Property – Andy Poyiadgi (Nobrow)
- Strip – Sarah Gordon (Self published)
Winner: The Motherless Oven – Rob Davis (SelfMadeHero)
- Comic Book Slumber Party: Fairytales for Bad Bitches – Hannah Chapman (Editor); Stephanie Ayres, Sarah Burgess, Emma Carlisle, Lucie Ebrey, Enoki, Lize Meddings, Becca Tobin, Donya Todd, Alice Urbino and Jenn Woodall (Self published)
- Supercrash: How to Hijack the Global Economy – Darryl Cunningham (Myriad Editions)
- The Rabbit – Rachael Smith (Avery Hill Publishing)
- Tim Ginger – Julian Hanshaw (Top Shelf)
Young People’s Comic Award
Winner: Star Cat Book 01 – James Turner (David Fickling Books)
- Cindy and Biscuit Vol 1: We Love Trouble – Dan White (Self published/Milk the Cat Comics)
- Gary’s Garden Book 1 – Gary Northfield (David Fickling Books)
- Ghost Cat’s Pedigree Chums – Craig Conlan (Self published)
- Maleficium – EdieOP (Avery Hill Publishing)
Winner: Rachael Stott (Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor (SDCC Exclusive), Star Trek #46 and #47, Star Trek/Planet of the Apes #1-5)
- Sarah Graley (Our Super Adventure, Pizza Witch, Rent Quest)
- Matt Taylor (The Great Salt Lake, Wolf #1 and #2)
- Adam Vian (Long Lost Lempi, Snippets: Extracts from 4 comics that don’t Exist)
- Christian Ward (ODY-C Volume 1, ODY-C #6)
British Comic Awards Hall of Fame
Dudley D Watkins, creator of “Desperate Dan”, “Oor Wullie” and “The Broons” resides upon a golden throne in the celestial Hall of Fame.
Admission was Free, although spaces are limited.
In the Millennium Room.
In association with retailer Page 45
Part of the Thought Bubble Festial 2015.
Winners of the British Comic Awards 2014
The winners of the 3rd Annual British Comic Awards were:
The Wicked + The Divine #1 by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie, Matt Wilson and Clayton Cowles (Image Comics)
The Encyclopedia of Early Earth by Isabel Greenberg (Jonathan Cape)
Young People’s Comic Award
Hilda and The Black Hound by Luke Pearson (Flying Eye Books)
Hall of Fame
The British Comic Awards 2015 Short List and Long Lists in full.